Best Time to Trekking In Nepal
The best time to trek in Nepal depends on the season you are traveling in. Each of the different seasons in Nepal will deliver different views of landscape and experience. So, you need to prepare according to the month or season you are planning to trek.
Crowd and weather are the two things you must consider before you plan for a trek in Nepal. These factors will determine your trek experience in any region of Nepal. Despite these considerations, you can plan your trek any time of the year as trekking is possible throughout the year.
Spring and autumn seasons are considered to be the most suitable time to trek by travelers and trekkers. The weather condition in these seasons is pleasant with pristine visibility of the mountains. Also, a variety of flowers bloom along the trails and dense forest surrounds you on most of the part of the trek.
You can also enjoy trekking in Nepal in the seasons of Winter and Summer season. You will experience a beautiful view of the mountains in winter. With occasional showers, your views of the mountains can be a tad disrupting. However, a smaller crowd during the treks can enhance your experience.
You must be aware that every season has its own pros and cons. So, you must prepare accordingly to cope with different climatic conditions and other factors on the trek. Thus, you need to balance your preferences to adjust yourself to the trek.
We provide you with details about each of the season. The information below will help you determine and decide the best time to go trek in Nepal.
Seasons to Trek in Nepal
Spring season trek in Nepal (March-May)
March and May falls under the Spring season in Nepal. The Spring season consists of longer and warmer days. The season starts right after the end of the dry Winter season in Nepal.
The landscape comes to life with vivid color from pink, red and blue. It is one of the best times for a relaxing and attractive trek in Nepal. The visibility is the best- the atmosphere is clear and free of dust.
The temperature usually ranges around 15°C to 25°C in the lower and upper hilly regions. May is the warmest month among the Spring season. You might also experience slight rainfall during the course of the trek.
On the other hand, the temperature decreases between 5°C to 10°C at a higher altitude over 4000 m. Despite the temperature, you will witness stunning and admirable views of the mountains.
You will also walk along with the blooming rhododendrons and colorful ﬂowers in the beautiful valleys. The trails are snow free as the days are quite warm and sunny. But, you will experience arid weather conditions with slight snowfall at the higher region of the trek.
The spring season offers ideal weather conditions for a memorable trekking experience in many regions of Nepal. Therefore, popular trekking trails like the Everest region and the Annapurna region are busy and full of travelers in spring.
Why trek in the Spring season in Nepal?
- Pleasant and warm weather conditions during day and night.
- Long days suitable for a long hike.
- Less chances of flight cancellations due to stable weather conditions.
- Less number of trekkers and travelers compared to Autumn.
- Clear paths on high mountain passes.
Summer Season trek in Nepal (June – August)
The Summer season is also also known as Monsoon in Nepal. The season of Summer starts from June to August. Summer is usually hot and offers torrential downpour.
So, you might have some difficulties during the trek as most of the trails are slippery and wet. The mountain views might also get obscured due to the haze from the dark clouds and rain. Thus, you must carry rain gears with you all the time to deal with the muddy and moist trails.
Yet, you can experience the very best of the Himalayas region during the Summer season. Due to the diverse geography, you can trek in some of the rains shadow areas in Nepal.
Manang 3,519m, Mustang 3,810m, and Dolpo 4,070m regions of Nepal are the popular rain shadow trekking regions in Nepal. These regions experience less rainfall due to their unique topography. It results in splendid views of the surrounding.
Besides, the Summer season is also the best time for a keen botanist or photographer. As the valley blossom with flowers and lush vegetation, it’s the perfect time to capture the beauty of Nepal.
Why trek in Summer season in Nepal?
- Low risk of suffering from high altitude sickness.
- Least chance of avalanches on the high mountain trail.
- A quiet and peaceful trail due to less number of trekkers.
- Low- cost food and accommodation on any trek in Nepal.
Autumn Season trek in Nepal (September – November)
The season of Spring is the best time to trek in Nepal. Most of the trekking trails are usually crowded by travelers and trekkers. The Autumn season starts in September and ends in November.
The Autumn season starts after the departure of the monsoon rain. So, the monsoon rains will clear the dust and pollution from the sky and the atmosphere. Thus, you will have spectacular and clear views of the green hills and high mountains.
The weather condition is pristine for an enjoyable trek in the green valleys of Nepal. The temperature is usually hot even at the elevation of 3,000 m. On the other hand in the upper hill and lower mountain ranges, the temperature ranges from 15°C to 24°C.
Likewise, the temperature above 4,000m drops below -10°C in the morning and the late evening. Despite the cold weather, it is the peak season for trekking. So, trekking trails are busy with travelers.
Thus, the price along the trails is a bit expensive as well. The tea houses are usually packed with the guest so it’s gonna be a challenge to find a room for accommodation. So, make sure to book yourself a decent tea house for accommodation and meals before the trek.
Why trek in Autumn season in Nepal?
- Stable weather condition.
- Spectacular views of the high mountain peaks.
- Trail full of dense green vegetation and free of dust.
- Low chance of rainfall is low.
Winter Season trek in Nepal (December-February)
The Winter season in Nepal starts lasts from December to February. The days during the months of Winter are shorter and colder than the rest of the months. So, trekking at higher altitude can be challenging.
So, trekkers should prepare themselves for heavy snowfall and possible trail blockage during the trek. However, the weather is stable and dry for a good hike on routes like Everest Base Camp 5,380m trek.
The temperature at higher altitude regions such as Everest Base Camp ranges from 5°C to -10°C. But the temperature remains stable in the lower altitudes of the Himalayan regions.
During winter, most of the tea houses remain closed along the trails. As the local people migrate to the lower altitudes, you won’t have plenty of choices for accommodation. Thus, short treks are the better choice for an expedition in winter.
You can still enjoy the majestic mountain vistas and the snowy scenery in the season of Winter. So, trek options like lower Solu of Everest region and Annapurna Circuit are great options to explore the beauty of the lower altitude treks in Nepal.
However, you will need proper planning and gear during the winter trek especially if you are trekking over 4000m. Furthermore, you need to assign a guide for the trek as the trails can be tricky due to heavy snowfall.
Why trek in winter season in Nepal?
- Majestic mountain views with low humidity and precipitation
- Quiet trek due to less number of people
- Special Winter discount for travelers and trekkers along the trail in tea houses.
- The Peaceful aesthetic of the cold weather.
Things to consider for trekking in Nepal:
- It is an experience of a lifetime as you will hike in the wondrous high lands of Nepal. So, you must make every moment worth it. So, you must make sure to get yourself a trustworthy guide service in the country. Don’t seek for cheaper alternatives as it may leave you in disappointment after the trek. The best service will offer you comfortable routes along with a wide knowledge of wildlife, nature and the mountains.
- It is important for you to get yourself reliable travel insurance for trekking in Nepal. The travel agency will cover all the extra charges if any mishap might happen in the high mountains. The weather conditions are unpredictable in the Himalayan regions of Nepal. So, it’s a must to have a travel agency that covers your trek above 5,000m.
- You should choose the trek depending on your comfort level and preferences. Don’t pick the popular trekking options. There are short trek options like Mardi Himal trek and Annapurna Circuit for a splendid trekking experience.
- You should get yourself an informational Nepal guidebook on your trekking expedition. The guide book comes in handy most of the time as it consists of important details of the trek. You can also gain additional information about the history and cultural heritage of Nepal.
- There are a lot of places to visit in Nepal. So, schedule and plan your trek itinerary with plenty amount of days to travel to those places. You can visit some of the historical and religious places like Pashupatinath and Boudhanath too. You can also go for a hike to Dhulikhel or Nagarkot around the Kathmandu valley.
Trekking in Nepal is possible throughout the year. Yet, the different seasons offer different experiences unique to their own. Regardless, you will enjoy the majestic mountains and the green hills throughout the trek.
However, the weather conditions are always unpredictable in the high Himalayan regions of Nepal. So, you should plan and prepare yourself accordingly. And, you should bring the trekking gears for both cold and warm weather conditions.
It will ensure you a great adventurous trip in any region of Nepal despite the time of the year and season.
We recommended on:
Our Top Offer
Why booking with us ?
- Fully Locally Owned Company
- Quality Of Service and Competitive price
- Highly Professional Staff
- Flexible and customization trip itinerary
- 100% Customer satisfaction
Need help?Nepal: 00977-9841273869 whatsapp: 00977-9841273869
24 hour customer service