Upper Mustang Jeep Tour takes you to the remote and forbidden kingdom in the Himalayas of Nepal. The routes of this region were restricted until 1992. But, the trails are rapidly gaining popularity among travelers.
Nowadays, Upper Mustang region has been one of the ideal travel destinations in Nepal. Many people dream to visit this beautiful, yet remote kingdom and explore it. However, this region is still not properly established with modern culture, technologies and lifestyle.
Recently, roadways have been available around Upper Mustang. Our Upper Mustang tour lets you comfortably visit around this kingdom by jeep. And experience the unspoiled Tibetan culture while viewing the historic monasteries, ancient caves, and many more.
Upper Mustang is also known as the Kingdom of Lo. This kingdom lies in the western part of Nepal in Gandaki Pradesh. It comprises the two-third northern part of the Mustang district.
For centuries, this valley was isolated from the rest of the world. So, the people living here have their own distinctive Tibetan culture, tradition, and dialects. This area is one of the driest regions of Nepal with spectacular scenarios.
Upper Mustang lies in the rain shadow area of Nepal. The beautiful desert environment and cliff-faced landscapes are some of the major attractions of this place.
The people from Upper Mustang depend on tourism, trade, and animal husbandry for living. Due to isolation, there was no involvement from the outside world. So, they were able to preserve their ancient culture and tradition.
If you are looking forward to staying more days in this region then you can choose Upper Mustang Trek. But if you want the easy way then selecting the roadways is a great option. The routes of Upper Mustang are suitable for both treks and roadways.
On the Upper Mustang Jeep Tour, you will be traveling via jeep while staying in Luxurious hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara. And stay in some of the best tea houses for the rest of the trip.
This Upper Mustang Jeep tour takes you on an adventure in the bewildering world of the old Buddhist kingdom. Even though this place is popular for trekking and adventure the routes are still lesser-known.
Highlights of Upper Mustang Luxury Jeep Tour
- Staying in Luxurious hotels ( Kathmandu and Pokhara)
- Drive through all the secluded, rugged, and bumpy terrains
- Visit the last forbidden kingdom, Lo Manthang
- Stay in Tea houses for the most part of the tour
- Experience the Tibetan culture and tradition
- Sight wonderful vista of the Himalayas on the backdrop
- Mesmerizing desert beauty and cliff-faced landscapes
Route of Upper Mustang Jeep Tour
Kathmandu- Pokhara- Jomsom- Kagbeni- Ghami- Lo Manthang- Ghami- Jomsom- Pokhara- Kathmandu
Your journey begins and ends in Kathmandu. You drive towards Pokhara then head to Tatopani via Beni. After a peaceful night, you drive towards Kagbeni from there you drive to Ghami then Lo Manthang. After reaching Lo Manthang, you stay and explore the areas. Then drive to Chhuksang the next day. From there, you drive to Kalopani then Back to Pokhara. And head back to Kathmandu the following day.
Best Time To Visit Upper Mustang
The climate in Upper Mustang is Trans-Himalayan so it is cool and semi-desert. Upper mustang is a part of rain shadow areas in the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges.Visiting Upper Mustang is suitable at any time of the year. There are four seasons to choose from Spring, Autumn, Monsoon, and winter. Most people prefer spring and autumn to be the best time to visit Upper Mustang.
Spring and Autumn are the two peak seasons for traveling in the Himalayas in Nepal. The months from March to May and September to October fall under these seasons. During this time, the skies are clear, the temperature is moderate, and nature looks mesmerizingly beautiful. There are no signs of snow and rain during these months.
Winter and Monsoon are off-season for traveling in the Himalayas. These seasons are the time for heavy rainfall and snowfall. The months from December to February and June to August fall in them.
Winter is the coldest time of the year. The temperature will drop below zero but the skies are clear and days are warm. As for monsoon, Upper Mustang is a rain shadow area so there is no rainfall there. But there are continuous rain showers in the lower region which can be an obstacle in your path.
Other than that, the routes are less crowded during these months. So, if you like privacy you can visit during these seasons.
Upper Mustang Tour Permit & Restriction
Upper Mustang lies on Nepal’s northern border with Tibet, only opened to tourists in 1992 and remains a restricted area. The foreigner tourist need special permit to enter Upper mustang. Read More.
Upper Mustang Jeep Tour Itinerary
Cost Include / Exclude
- Airport transfer (Airport – Hotel – Airport) by private car/van/bus.
- 3 Night 3 Star Hotel in Kathmandu
- 2 Nights 3 star hotel in Pokhara.
- 3 meals a days (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) with tea Coffee during the trek.
- All necessary Trekking permit.
- All necessary paper works.
- All accommodations in Best lodges/tea houses during the trek.
- Trekking Guide :An experienced, helpful and good English Speaking Guide.
- Kathmandu to Pokhara / Jomsom / Pokhara/ Flight Ticket
- Kathmandu /Pokhara City Guided Tour.
- Trekking Equipment: Sleeping bag, down jackets, Duffel bag and walking stick, if needed.
- Company T-shirt and Trekking map
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available)
- All government taxes and service charge.
- International airfare and Nepal entry visa fee
- Travel insurance.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhhara.
- All the Bar bills and personal expenses (phone call, laundry service, battery recharge, bottle of water, hot water, shower, pot of tea, coffee etc.
- Tips for the guide and porter. .