Upper Mustang Jeep Tour takes you to the remote and forbidden kingdom in the Himalayas of Nepal. The routes of this region were restricted until 1992. But, the trails are rapidly gaining popularity among travelers.
Nowadays, Upper Mustang region has been one of the ideal travel destinations in Nepal. Many people dream to visit this beautiful, yet remote kingdom and explore it. However, this region is still not properly established with modern culture, technologies and lifestyle.
Recently, roadways have been available around Upper Mustang. Our Upper Mustang Luxury Jeep tour lets you comfortably visit around this kingdom by jeep. And experience the unspoiled Tibetan culture while viewing the historic monasteries, ancient caves, and many more.
Upper Mustang is also known as the Kingdom of Lo. This kingdom lies in the western part of Nepal in Gandaki Pradesh. It comprises the two-third northern part of the Mustang district.
For centuries, this valley was isolated from the rest of the world. So, the people living here have their own distinctive Tibetan culture, tradition, and dialects. This area is one of the driest regions of Nepal with spectacular scenarios.
Upper Mustang lies in the rain shadow area of Nepal. The beautiful desert environment and cliff-faced landscapes are some of the major attractions of this place.
The people from Upper Mustang depend on tourism, trade, and animal husbandry for living. Due to isolation, there was no involvement from the outside world. So, they were able to preserve their ancient culture and tradition.
If you are looking forward to staying more days in this region then you can choose Upper Mustang Trek. But if you want the easy way then selecting the roadways is a great option. The routes of Upper Mustang are suitable for both treks and roadways.
On the Upper Mustang Jeep Tour, you will be traveling via jeep while staying in Luxurious hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara. And stay in some of the best tea houses for the rest of the trip.
This Upper Mustang Jeep tour takes you on an adventure in the bewildering world of the old Buddhist kingdom. Even though this place is popular for trekking and adventure the routes are still lesser-known.
Highlights of Upper Mustang Luxury Jeep Tour
- Staying in Luxurious hotels ( Kathmandu and Pokhara)
- Drive through all the secluded, rugged, and bumpy terrains
- Visit the last forbidden kingdom, Lo Manthang
- Stay in Tea houses for the most part of the tour
- Experience the Tibetan culture and tradition
- Sight wonderful vista of the Himalayas on the backdrop
- Mesmerizing desert beauty and cliff-faced landscapes
Route of Upper Mustang Jeep Tour
Kathmandu- Pokhara- Jomsom- Kagbeni- Ghami- Lo Manthang- Ghami- Jomsom- Pokhara- Kathmandu
Your journey begins and ends in Kathmandu. You drive towards Pokhara then head to Tatopani via Beni. After a peaceful night, you drive towards Kagbeni from there you drive to Ghami then Lo Manthang. After reaching Lo Manthang, you stay and explore the areas. Then drive to Chhuksang the next day. From there, you drive to Kalopani then Back to Pokhara. And head back to Kathmandu the following day.
Best Time To Visit Upper Mustang
The climate in Upper Mustang is Trans-Himalayan so it is cool and semi-desert. Upper mustang is a part of rain shadow areas in the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges.Visiting Upper Mustang is suitable at any time of the year. There are four seasons to choose from Spring, Autumn, Monsoon, and winter. Most people prefer spring and autumn to be the best time to visit Upper Mustang.
Spring and Autumn are the two peak seasons for traveling in the Himalayas in Nepal. The months from March to May and September to October fall under these seasons. During this time, the skies are clear, the temperature is moderate, and nature looks mesmerizingly beautiful. There are no signs of snow and rain during these months.
Winter and Monsoon are off-season for traveling in the Himalayas. These seasons are the time for heavy rainfall and snowfall. The months from December to February and June to August fall in them.
Winter is the coldest time of the year. The temperature will drop below zero but the skies are clear and days are warm. As for monsoon, Upper Mustang is a rain shadow area so there is no rainfall there. But there are continuous rain showers in the lower region which can be an obstacle in your path.
Other than that, the routes are less crowded during these months. So, if you like privacy you can visit during these seasons.
Upper Mustang Tour Permit & Restriction
Upper Mustang lies on Nepal’s northern border with Tibet, only opened to tourists in 1992 and remains a restricted area. The foreigner tourist need special permit to enter Upper mustang. Read More.
- Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
- Sightseeing In Kathmandu
- Fly to Pokhara from Kathmandu,Leaser Time Sightseeing in Pokhara and Fewa lake Boating. Overnight Hotel.
- From Pokhara to Jomsom by Flight ( 2800m) then Drive to Kagbeni, 3900 M
- Drive from Kagbeni to Ghami, 2,5200m – 05, 6 hrs.- 35 Kilometer
- Drive to Lo- Manthang from Ghami, 3840m- 03 hrs- 25 Kilometer.
- Explore Day In Lo- Manthang
- Drive Back to Ghami
- Drive Back to Jomsom, – 04 hours.
- Fly back to Pokhara from Jomsom.
- Fly back to Kathmandu afternoon free at leisure.
- International departure homeward bound.
- Arrival in Kathmandu (1,396 m.) Welcome to the beautiful capital city of Nepal! The first day of the Upper Mustang Jeep Tour begins by your arrival in Kathmandu. Our representatives will be waiting for you at the terminal prior to your arrival at the Tribhuvan International Airport.After your landing, they will pick you up from the airport and drop you off at your hotel. In the hotel, you will have a brief introduction to each other. Then the representative will help you check-in to your room. Doing these they will leave for the day. The rest of the day is unplanned so you can roam around the nearby areas. After a tiring day, you return back to your hotel. Have dinner and call it a day.You will be staying in one of the finest hotels in Kathmandu..
- Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tours On the second day of Upper mustang luxury jeep tour, you will go sightseeing around the Kathmandu valley. This place is swarming with people which is quite fascinating to look at. Kathmandu is a holiday destination that offers many exciting places you can visit.Among all the places, you will be visiting UNESCO Heritage Sites this day. As one day is not enough to visit every destination. Waking up early, you will have your breakfast and get ready for today’s adventure. You will be visiting Pashupatinath, Boudhanath, Swayambhunath, Basantapur durbar square, and Patan Durbar square. These are some of the ancient places of this city that have many stories engraved in its ground.After a tiresome day, you return back to your hotel and rest. But if you still have energy then you can go for night walks in Thamel
- After Breakfast, Transfer to Airport and Fly pokhara. The Upper Mustang Luxury Jeep Tour begins as you fly out of the city towards Pokhara. Waking up early you have your breakfast and wait for your guide to arrive.Picking you up from the hotel, they will drop you off at the airport. From there you board your flight and soar into the sky. As you look around, you will see green hills and beautiful nature that is quite mesmerizing. As you slowly enter the Kaski district, you get a slight peak of Annapurna Massif. The beauty of the peaks will astound you. Sighting these beautiful views you arrive in Pokhara.You can roam around the city and visit the lakeside to freshen up your mind. After a wonderful time, you return back to your hotel room. You will be staying in luxurious hotels here.
- From Pokhara Fly to Jomsom Then Drive to Kagbeni ( 299m, 12 Kilometer, 45 minut ) After having a healthy breakfast, we start our Upper Mustang Luxury tour from Pokhara. Today you will be flying till Jomsom then drive towards Kagbeni from there.Boarding your flight you fly into the sky. It is about half an hour’s flight from Pokhara. As you look out the window, you will see many marvelous peaks and landscapes. Looking at the beautiful view you will realize the flight is very short. Arriving at Jomsom airport, you begin your Luxury tour from there. Boarding a jeep you head towards Kagbeni.It is half an hour’s drive filled with beautiful scenarios. You will be passing through the banks of Kaligandaki and its Canyon. This day you will be driving past many traditional villages of Kalopani, Ghasa, and Marpha. Viewing beautiful landscapes and exploring villages you reach Kagbeni. This is a small village located in the valley of the Kali Gandaki River which you can see during your jeep drive to upper mustang.From there you head towards Muktinath, the holy temple for Buddhist and Hindu. This temple is a holy shrine for Lord Vishnu and the 108 taps are the main highlights here. After exploring the area for some time, you return back to Kagbeni and spend the night there.
- Drive from Kagbeni to Ghami.(3500 m – 6 hour- 36 Kilometer After having breakfast, you visit the Kagbeni Monastery and Buddhist School. Today you will be heading towards Ghami. You need special permits to begin your Upper Mustang journey. So, before leaving Kagbeni your guide will check in with it.You begin your journey by crossing the Kaligandaki river near Chhusang Village. Then making an ascend in the trails you pass through various traditional villages. Like Chella, Samar, Syangboche, and many more. This day you will be seeing many local farms and yak grazing in fields. Passing them you reach Ghami. You can explore the area and view the local activities. You stay in one of the tea houses for the night.
- Drive from Ghami to Lo- Manthang.(3900m, 17 Kilometer, 3 Hours) Today you will be heading to one of the major highlights of this trip. This day you will be traveling to Lo Manthang from Ghami. The trip is very short and filled with dessert beauty and landscapes.Passing through many small settlements you reach Lo Manthang. Upon reaching here, you will visit the monastery of Mustang Lo Gager Ghar Gompa. This monastery is very important in Mustang. Another one is Jampa Gompa, the oldest monastery. This Gompa is also known as “God house” which was built in the 15th Century. Then Chodey Gompa the main city gompa. You will be visiting many monasteries this day. On this day, you will be reaching the highest point after the beginning of pokhara to upper mustang by jeep tour.You stay here for the night.
- Explore Day In Lo- Manthang This day you explore around Lo Manthang. Waking up you have your breakfast and get ready for today’s tour. You will visit the Namgyal Gompa, sky caves of Chhoser, and Shija Jhong Cave. Some of these caves are dated back to over 3000 years old. Most of the caves near Chhoser are usually used for burial, meditation, and living. The people living in Upper Mustang still use Sky Burial.Roaming around you the valley you return back to your tea house and call it a day.
- Drive Back to Ghami ( 1980m, 17 Kilometer , 3 Hour) On the 8th day of the Upper Mustang Jeep tour, you will be heading towards Ghami from Lo Manthang. You begin your drive by passing through Tibetan Buddhist Monastery. This day you will be crossing the longest Mani wall in Mustang. Then crossing the Kaligandaki River you reach Ghami.
- From Ghami Drive Back to Jomsom,( 2800m, 5 Hours, 40 Kilometer) Today you will be heading towards Jomsom from Ghami. Leaving the Upper Mustang behind you head to the lower regions. You will pass through many Tibetan and Nepalese culture influenced villages this day.Visiting Jomsom Bazaar, Thini Village, snow leopard cave, and many more you reach your destination. Jomsom is a beautiful yet small settlement of the Thakali people. You stay here for the night.
- Fly To Pokhara-25 Minuit, ( 68 Kilometer, 20 Minuet flight) This can be considered as the last day of the upper mustang 4wd jeep tour. Today you fly back to the beautiful city of lakes, Pokhara. Viewing beautiful landscapes and peaks you reach your destination.After arriving at Pokhara, you check-in at your hotel and go on a tour of this city. There are many attractions sites you can visit like the bat cave, David’s falls, Phewa lake, and many religious sites. You can go boating in Phewa lake or go cycling around the city. Pokhara is famous for its nightlife so, don’t miss it. You stay in a luxurious hotel for the night.
- Fly Back to Kathmandu and Sightseeing Bhaktapur.After breakfast, drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu which takes around 6 hours. Upon arrival at Kathmandu, you can opt to take a rest or go for half-day sightseeing tour to UNESCO world heritage sites.In the evening, attend a farewell dinner hosted by Adventure Great Himalaya to celebrate the successful completion of the trip.
- International departure homeward bound. Your adventure holiday in Nepal comes to an end today. An airport representative from Adventure. Great Himalaya will transfer you to the Tribhuvan International Airport for your final departure.
- Airport transfer (Airport – Hotel – Airport) by private car/van/bus.
- Hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara as per itinerary
- 3 meals a days (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) with tea Coffee during the trek.
- All necessary Trekking permit.
- All necessary paper works.
- All accommodations in Best lodges/tea houses during the trek.
- Trekking Guide :An experienced, helpful and good English Speaking Guide.
- Kathmandu to Pokhara / Jomsom / Pokhara/ Flight Ticket
- Kathmandu /Pokhara City Guided Tour.
- Trekking Equipment: Sleeping bag, down jackets, Duffel bag and walking stick, if needed.
- Company T-shirt and Trekking map
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available)
- All government taxes and service charge.
- International airfare and Nepal entry visa fee
- Travel insurance.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhhara.
- All the Bar bills and personal expenses (phone call, laundry service, battery recharge, bottle of water, hot water, shower, pot of tea, coffee etc.
- Tips for the guide and porter. .